Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Teacher week: Where

Hey friends. I am bound and determined to do a post everyday this week for Teacher Week! Fingers crossed that I make it happen. ha Today is all about WHERE you teach and of course, I'm linking up with my sweet friends at Blog Hoppin'.
So here is my classroom. You can read about my drastic transformation and painting it {here}. I would NOT recommend doing that yourself. If I would have had the funds, I would have hired it done. Lord.have.mercy! It was a ton of work. I wanted my classroom to be crisp, clean, and warm. Obviously, during the school year....I spend more time at school than I do at home so it is important for me to feel comfortable there as well as my students. Well...what are you waiting for? C'mon in...
When setting up your classroom, I would recommend checking out Spaces and Places by Debbie Diller. She suggests that you should draw out a diagram of your classroom first and use sticky notes as furniture. Move the sticky notes around on paper before actually moving the furniture. Your back and janitor will appreciate. 
This is my view from the back corner. I have one green accent wall and love it!
This is my view from the front of my room. I have 2 closets in the back and my teacher area/desk is to the right. My classroom rug was funded through Donor's Choose and has been a total blessing!!
This is my Writing Center. My students beg to visit this station! The Writer's Eye posters are from the fabulous Cara Carroll.
One of my big projects, when redoing my room, was painting all of my shelves. I wanted everything to be uniformed throughout. So I painted all of my shelves and closet doors black and kept the bulletin board paper/border the same! :) I just think it makes things "flow."
My library center is my favorite! To me - - it's just dying for a student to come sit a while and read a book. It's inviting, cozy, and fun!
I spent all last summer organizing my books and labeling them.  It has made my classroom library so much more functional and helped to keep my books in order! Although it took a ton of time, I am beyond thankful I made it a personal goal. 
Well - - I hope you enjoyed the tour! Be sure to link up and stop back by tomorrow for the WHY. See ya then. 

3 comments:

A Rocky Top Teacher said...

I am loving that reading center!

-Sarah
A Rocky Top Teacher

Holly said...

It's looking great - as always! I love how you have your tables arranged!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Bumblebees R Us Day Care Center said...

I love your classroom, it looks so nice and relaxing - just perfect for a teacher who wants to make the entire schoolyear a comfortable experience. By the way, I love that carpet rug!