Saturday, January 14, 2012

Game day!

Hey friends! It's game day....and by that, I don't mean football......I mean, Miss America. I'll be glued to the TV tonight rooting on Miss Tennessee, Erin Hatley! Some of you may know, I was involved in the Miss America Organization and competed for the title of Miss Tennessee back in 2008. I competed in a local preliminary and won the title of Miss Historic Jonesborough and was anxious to head to state. For those of you that are not familiar with Jonesborough, it's the oldest town in the state and is full of history and beauty! Granted, I'm partial....but it's a MUST visit and houses the site for the NATIONAL Story Telling Festival. Be sure to add it to your bucket list and call me when you're in town. ;-) You won't regret it! 
Although, I'm a has been....my heart is still there and I stay actively involved by judging and emceeing various events. By competing in pageants, I was awarded scholarship money that went towards my undergrad degree and had a number of opportunities I wouldn't have otherwise been awarded. I logged over 500 hours promoting my platform on literacy awareness and received recognition from our Governor and President for my works. Unfortunately, I feel that so many have a bad taste in their mouth for pageantry due to the new show, "Toddlers & Tiaras." But, it paints such a false picture! Anyways, I just wanted to share with you all a little something that helped make me who I am today and encourage you to watch the big show tonight! 
I'll leave you with this video of Erin. Wishing her and all the contestants MUCH luck tonight. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to walk and suck in your stomach at the same time during swimsuit? (I would have posted a pic, but didn't feel it was kindergarten blog appropriate ha!) Oh to have that body again...it's a wonder I lived to tell the tale! #GoTeamTennessee

8 comments:

Allyce said...

I will be watching tonight too! But I have to say I will be rooting for Miss Washington. Good luck to Miss Tennessee though!

Kristin said...

I knew you were famous!!! :) :) :)
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Doris Young said...

How neat! I'd prefer to watch it over football but I'd have to fight the boys in the house for the remote! Have fun!
Doris@thirdgradethinkers8

Whitney from Washington said...

Yaaay!! So excited about tonight!

It feels like yesterday we were wearing our EEE crown pins and cheering for you when you won your title!

Go Miss TN!

Elisabeth said...

I love your blog! I passed an award along to you! You can check it out here.. http://missdelk.blogspot.com/2012/01/award.html

Marlana said...

I didn't get to watch, but aren't you just adorable! I bet the pageant experience holds a lot of memories for you. It sounds like you did great things for literacy and education.

Blessings,
Marlana
Lil' Country Kindergarten

Anonymous said...

I am originally from Atlantic City and the pageant means so much to me even though I never competed. Then when my daughter competed all my memories came back, and I realized how much it all meant to me. I knew I liked you for a reason!

Terri Izatt

Unknown said...

Are you in TN? I just found your blog through Pinterest and your MLK Mini Unit, then I saw this post. Erin went to the elementary school that I currently teach at. I didn't know her, but thought it was really cool. I'm your newest follower and am also trying to get up a TN blogger meet and greet if you are interested.

Laura
Kinder Kraziness