Sunday, August 11, 2013

A "sweet" way of starting off the year...

Well, I'm back at school - full swing with a class full of Kindergarteners. 21 to be exact. We've had a fun week back and have learned all about our rules, procedures, our new school, and the new friends in our class. I think I'm going to have a great year! 
Each year, I start off by reading The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School, by Laura Murray. This book puts a twist on the traditional Gingerbread Man and is a great introductory to school. When a class leaves for recess, their just-baked Gingerbread Man is left behind. But he's a smart cookie and heads out to find them. He'll run, slide, skip, and (after a mishap with a soccer ball) limp as fast as he can because: "I can catch them! I'm their Gingerbread Man! "With help from the gym teacher, the nurse, the art teacher and even the principal, a deliciously sweet ending is served up for both the Gingerbread Man and the children who made him. It's a must read! Anyways - when I finish, I tell my class that the gingerbread man is loose in the school and we must find him. I leave clues around the school that take my new students on a "tour."
They meet the librarian...
The art teacher....and more. When the "tour" is finished, my students have learned all about their new school and met most of the faculty and staff. The last clue leads them back to the classroom for a treat.
Students are left a coloring page and a gingerbread cookie of their own to enjoy! 
We even practice our cutting skills. 
AND we make a gingerbread glyph. 
This is such a wonderful way to start the year off and it always helps my students get acquainted with their new school! You can pick all of these activities up and MORE in my Gingerbread Man unit
Head on over to my TpT store and grab it for 20% off (for a limited time only). Do you  have a sweet way of starting off the school year? Please share! Also...don't forget to head over to Blog Hoppin' to get your posts ready for Teacher Week 2013. Be sure to link up each day and use the hashtag #teacherweek13 if you are an instagrammer.  A LOT of hard work has gone into this week already and I'm super excited to be a part. A big thanks goes out to Amy Lemons for making the cute buttons! I cannot wait to see what everyone posts. Happy Sunday!

1 comments:

Diana said...

This looks like such a fun first day of school activity!