Tuesday, March 8, 2011

MORE Dr. Seuss???

That's right people....we are STILL doing Dr. Seuss!  ;-)  There is just a TON to do and with us traveling to see Seussical in theatre on Thursday, the Kindergarten team thought it would be wise to stretch out our unit.  Soooo, yesterday, we read Yertle the Turtle. 
My students helped me fill in the chart below and we discussed the main idea and moral of the story.
I asked students to bring "turtle" items to share with the class.  I was more than happy with the turnout.  We even had TWO real turtle shells come in and this led to a lengthy discussion! My students were fascinated with the different objects.  ha ;-)
After our share time, we made our own Yertle the Turtle...blue shell and all!
Today, we read...
My class was instructed to wear their favorite vacation spot T shirt.  I had several that did!  Here are a pic of two....one is from Disney's Animal Kingdom and the other, Clearwater Beach, FL.  I know I certainly wish I was in either of those places at the moment.  T minus 8 school days to SPRING BREAK! ;-)  Can I get an Amen??
We brainstormed places we would go and IF we traveled...how we would get there.  Students discussed forms of transportation on land, water, and air. 
Afterwards, we made our own hot air balloons! 
So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!

Love, Miss E

2 comments:

waitingforryder said...

Hi Erin,

I love your blog! I was a high school English teacher in my previous before being a Mommy life, but now stay at home with my 3 1/2 year old son. Right now, several of my mommy friends and I are planning to homeschool our kids for as long as it works, and your blog will be an amazing help as we begin to prepare our Kindergarten efforts. Thank you so much for the work you put into your classroom for your kids, and for the extra effort of this blog that shares that work with us! Happy Spring Break approaching :)

Kristy

http://waitingforryder.blogspot.com/

Erin Eberhart said...

You're so sweet! Glad my blog is a great tool for you. You should certainly check out my classroom website as well...misseberhartsclass.com
I look forward to reading/following your blog as well. Let me know if I can be of any assistance in your future homeschooling endeavor. Best of luck and thanks again :)
Erin