Monday, February 20, 2012

Happy President's Day!

We've had so much fun gearing up for President's Day and learning about American symbols. DeAnna's unit has been a huge hit. I am beyond thrilled that I have today off and wanted to share with you a few pics from last week. I always try to do my units ahead of time so students know why we celebrate the holiday and why schools are closed in observance. So...yes, in the midst of Vday craziness, I was teaching my class about Presidents. ha
Math and Literacy workstations are a compilation of DeAnna's goodies, my stuff, and some Presidential freebies from Shannon's blog, Kindergarten Hoppenings. Students did a spin & tally, probability coin flip, poems, sorted by ending sounds, and other stuff - oh my. We.were.busy.
Here's another shot of more fun!  The far left photo is a printable from Kim Adsit's unit. Amazing! 
I was sooooo happy with the way these directed drawings turned out. Learning about the Statue of Liberty was the highlight of our week. I think their little drawings turned out amazing. I even had some 5th graders stop and ask, "Miss Eberhart...did your 5 years olds REALLY draw these?"
We measured the length of the Statue of Liberty's foot and marked it on the wall. Can you believe her foot alone is 25 feet long AND her big toe is taller than a man? That is one big shoe! Students predicted if they stood (shoulder to shoulder) would they be longer, shorter, or equal to the length of her foot? Hard to believe that with 23 kinders....we were shorter than her foot! Crazy! We tallied, graphed, and wrote about our results.
After learning that the Statue of Liberty was made out of copper and was...originally brown, students question why she turned green. We did a little experiment on copper pennies and turned them green to discover the answer! Fun stuff!!
Of course we learned allllll about Lincoln and Washington. Students used a fact sheet to record information they learned about our famous presidents. We even made George...not to be confused with Martha! ;-) ha ha 
We recorded our new learning on a Venn diagram and a large anchor chart. And, at the end of the week, we celebrated with a little food of course! My student teacher brought in a crock pot to melt white chocolate and red and blue sprinkles. Unfortunately, things do not always go according to plan and Ms. Estep and I had to result in plan B - which was white icing. ha ha Don't ask. Let's just say you do not want us in the kitchen....we manage to ruin everything. How you burn and curdle white chocolate is beyond me. Moral of the story - HAVE A BACKUP people! Nonetheless, kinders enjoyed a little "sparkler!" 
If you didn't pick up my FREE President's Day emergent reader....grab it below. Just click on the pic. Hope you've had a wonderful day off. 

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks so much for the shout out! I truly appreciate it :)

Kristin said...

I love this!!!! Such cute stuff - and your statues of liberty are excellent! How exactly did you make the penny turn green?????? From your non-scientific stalker.
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Unknown said...

Loving this!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

Anonymous said...

SUPER cute ideas! And so many of them! I had no idea what to do for Presidents day and now I can't wait. Thanks!

Michelle Griffo said...

These photos are great!

Michelle

Apples and ABC's

The Colorful Apple said...

Oo I wish I had seen this post earlier. My students would have loved to do that penny experiment as we learned about the Statue of Liberty! Such a great idea!

Sara :)
Smiling In Second Grade

sspeller said...

Love the "sparklers" - I am going to make them for 4th of July!!