Thursday, August 11, 2011

Run...run....as fast as you can!

You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man! During staggered enrollment, I take the opportunity to get my students as familiarized with the school, policies, and procedures as I can. One FUN way to do this is with the help of the gingerbread man. I start out by reading my kinders the story and chart who the gingerbread man meets during his "run." I then tell the students they are going to meet some important people that run our school. 
We set out in search of finding the gingerbread man and seeing where his clues lead us.  One clue said "he was hungry"...so we ended up in the lunch room. 
The clue that led us to Nurse Wendi was, "I have a tummy ache!"
Another clue said he likes to draw pictures, so we journeyed to the art room and met Mrs. Allen. 
We continued following the clues until we had visited and met all the special area teachers, toured the cafeteria, and seen our school's office. 
The last clue said, "Go back to your room for a treat!" He had run and run and he needed some rest...he thought our classroom would be best! When we made it back to our room, there were gingerbread pictures to color stating we had explored our school and gingerbread men to eat (chocolate teddy grahams). Note: The gingerbread debbie cakes are seasonal, so if you'd like to use those...stock up at Christmas and freeze them!

What a great 1st day in Kindergarten. (Yawn - I'm exhausted! I'm gonna RUN to bed) ~Miss E

6 comments:

suzy said...

What a great way for kinders to learn about the school. Do you have a copy of the gingerbread paper?

Erin Eberhart said...

I do....and I need to post it. I'll have to scan it in though and save as a PDF. Give me until tomorrow afternoon and I'll send it to google docs for ya!
Erin

Bonnie Walton said...

This is such a cute idea! I love it!

Living A Wonderful Life

Miss Nguyen's Class said...

How many kiddos do you have? I would love to do this but I am scared because I have 28 students and do not know if I can manage them all by myself running around the school.

Erin Eberhart said...

I have 20....wow - 28? I cannot imagine! If you do staggered enrollment though, taking 14 at a time wouldn't be too bad. I took 11 in 1 group and the rest in another! Good luck this year!!
Erin

Markeeta said...

I did this last year and was able to get the little Debbie snack cakes for it. I got them from Kroger. We did brown bear brown bear this year so I didn't look to see if they had them or not.